Friday, November 30, 2012

Protein-Packed Breakfast 11-30-12

PROTEIN-PACKED BREAKFAST

2 Fried eggs
Turkey kielbasa with red, yellow, and green peppers-sauteed
Chopped sauteed onion
Grilled pineapple slices
Orange-strawberry juice

   So far, my cholesterol is great and my heart doctor has not limited my meats and eggs. In fact, he continues to encourage me to "eat like a caveman", following the Paleo Diet.  When I make a fruit smoothie, I try to add a raw egg.  Protein is important in my diet, in addition to fruit, vegetables, and nuts. Sometimes I don't want to go to the trouble to add a protein to my breakfast, other than the eggs I eat every other morning. I try to have a variety of meat options available, and I am open to more ideas. I have not gotten the appetite for fish in the morning yet, but I think I might like tuna or salmon patties. This is a list of some of the meats I have tried so far.

Small slices of steak
Hamburger patties
Roast beef au jus
Pork chops
Ham slices and chopped ham
Bacon, crisp
Pork roast
Pork link sausage
Chicken tenders
Cubed chicken (in an omelet)
Chicken livers
Roast turkey slices
Turkey breakfast sausage
Turkey kielbasa sausage
Turkey patties
Turkey bacon
Turkey link sausage

    Eggs are big on the Paleo Diet, and easy to fix for breakfast. My favorite way to prepare them is fried, over medium. I have made my eggs fried sunny side up, scrambled, poached, and boiled. I prepared many types of omelets and frittatas. Fillings for the omelets and frittatas have been: mushrooms, chopped or sliced peppers and onions, chopped spinach and kale, fresh oregano leaves or basil, dried Italian seasoning, steak seasoning, and other herbs and salts. No cheese allowed, but for non-Paleo eaters, cheddar, parmesan, cream cheese, cottage cheese, American slices, and other cheeses would be delicious.

   I usually like a little sweet with my breakfast, especially with salty meats. I grill pineapple slices on the stove, fry apple slices in a little chicken stock, have chopped or sliced fruit (drained, if canned), or add a teaspoon of jelly, jam, preserves, syrup, or honey. Of course, any 100% fruit or tomato juice is great, as well as an orange, tangerine, necterine, peach, apple, grapes, or any berries. Sliced tomatoes or cherry, cherub, grape or other baby tomatoes count as a fruit, too.

   The most important thing to remember is: Don't skip breakfast, keep to good nutrition guidelines, and don't get sidetracked with sweet rolls or donuts, even Krispy Kreme. Happy breakfast!

No comments:

Post a Comment