Thursday, November 29, 2012

You're chicken. No, you're chicken. No, you're chicken. 11-29-12

YOU'RE CHICKEN.

     Cooking for several meals at a time can be challenging, but it is often efficient. I bought two pounds of chicken tenders and decided to cook them all at once, but in a variety of ways. I only had about an hour, so I was running around like a chicken with its head cut off. (Please forgive the joke.)

CHICKEN SPAGHETTI (for my husband): I boiled a few strips of chicken in water, some mirapoix (onions, celery, bell pepper), and pepper.  Meanwhile I made a white sauce with 2 % milk, cornstarch, salt and pepper, and Worchestershire sauce. I also cooked 4 oz. of spaghetti, drained it, added the sauce and the chicken with the veggies and most of the water (now chicken stock.) Then I added shredded cheddar cheese, some Parmesan, and a little white cheese. This dish will serve Kenny 4 times. (He loves leftovers/cook aheads as much as I do.)

SAUTEED TENDERS: My trusty steak seasoning made these tasty, cooked in a little canola oil. I will chop these up and add to various veggies to make different dishes, or just eat them with sides.

CHICKEN SALAD: (Paleo style) I boiled a few more strips in water and chicken stock, then shredded the chicken. I added raw chopped celery, onion, oregano (a gift from friends!), dried basil, a chopped boiled egg, salt, pepper, and olive-oil based mayonnaise. I eat this as a regular salad with lettuce or spinach, or as a stuffing for a char-grilled bell pepper half or a scooped out tomato.

OVEN "FRIED" CHICKEN: I use almond flour and milled flax seed, cayeene or chili pepper, with salt and pepper, as a coating, spray both the pan and the chicken with Pam, and bake for about 15-20 min. in a hot oven. Since I used tenders, they are small and thin, so they don't need much time. (There are other nut flours, but at $8 a pound, I only buy one at a time so far. Cashew flour sounds great, and I have found it online.)

BBQ CHICKEN:  I pre-boil the chicken just a little, then coat the chicken in BBQ sauce, and bake it for 15-20 minutes. BBQ sauce can be used with Sauteed Chicken, but it can get hard if not eaten soon.

That's a lot of chicken, but I will spread it out over two weeks. Each of my preps will make two or three servings for me or my husband. And I have a steak in the freezer when I need a break!


No comments:

Post a Comment